Re: Ignition Coil for DC Resonant charging

Original poster: "Stephen Conner by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <steve-at-scopeboy-dot-com>

At 08:19 07/01/03 -0700, you wrote:
>Original poster: "S & J Young by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><youngs-at-konnections-dot-net>
>

>Steve,
>
>No experience with ignition coils, but I have used 3 and 4 MOT secondaries
>in series successfully with a DC resonant charging circuit.  You will find
>that the more inductance you have, the slower you can run your ASRG before
>it power arcs due to the gap dwell time being too long.  I believe ignition
>coil secondaries would overheat from the current going through them.
>--Steve Young

I found some ignition coil data on Jim Lux's website and plugged it into my
PSpice simulation. The ignition coil secondary would be dissipating about
50 to 60 watts of heat. The power loss isn't a problem in my system, but if
the coil overheats and bursts it wouldn't be too good. As for the
inductance: I know more is better but I understand that too much will
eventually mess up the performance at the high end. I'm going for 400bps,
20 to 30 Henries is about right for my system and if I can get that from a
couple of MOTs that would be great.

Steve C.