Re: insulating secondary coils

Original poster: "Harold Weiss by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <hweiss-at-new.rr-dot-com>

 > YES! Corona dope is still around.  It is made by GC Electronics.  It ran
 > about $4 a 2oz bottle, last time I bought it.  I just saw a bottle 2 days
 > ago at the electronics store.  I have never coated a coil with it, so I
 > can't say if it will work.  I used it once over  a polyurathane coated
coil
 > to try to stop top turn corona with no success.  It tended to melt/wrinkle
 > the polyurathane on the first coat. Subsequent coats smoothed out.  The
coil
 > still blew thru it after 30 coats.  Now I only use it for splices on coils
 > before I varnish them.  So far no splice has ever broken down.  I will be
 > posting a picture of the above coil in response to another post.  It's of
 > beautiful corona "ring around the top".
 >
 > David E Weiss

Hi All,

Here's the picture.
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/topcor.jpg

This is going thru 30 coats of dope.  Coil is a 4" with a 6" steel sphere
for topload and an 1 1/2" aviation feedthru insulator for stand off.  At the
top is a screw producing 18" streamers.

David E Weiss