Re: Science Fair

At 05:46 PM 1/7/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>Original poster: "John Degnan by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><jdegnan86-at-yahoo-dot-com>
>

>Hey all,
>
>i've been working on my coil for the science fair at my school, and my
>original experiment was, which combination of sparkgaps and capacitors
>made the longest streamer?" heh only its due in 6 weeks and i have one
>multiple spark gap thats built, and one salt water cap... theres no way i
>can finish decent capacitors/SGs in time (as i'm extreamly busy) Can
>anyone help me with getting  an experiment to do with a medium sized coil?
>Thanks~!
>
>John

DO a systematic exploration of spark gap spacing against spark length.

Or, compare a multiple gap against a single one.

Compare blowing air across or through the gap against no air blowing, or
different air speeds.

All of these don't require building anything new, just using what you've
got already built.

Depending on the "rigor" of your science fair, a winning project is not
just sizzle, but one that demonstrates systematic and repeatable
measurements.  For instance, have you standardized your measurement of
"spark length" for longest streamer? Do you run it multiple times and
measure each time?