Re: Negative Resistance

Original poster: "Wall Richard Wayne by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com>

Ed, List.

Deionization is not an issue here.  In fact, once the NE bulb strikes
(70-80 volts)ionization takes place.  Then NE bulb voltage can be decreased
by 15-20 volts and it stays ionized. It is in this realm that so called
"negative resistance" occurs and the E vs I slope is negative.  Decrease
voltage much more and the NE bulb extinguishes.  Current(I) can be
controlled easily and precisely with a relatively high voltage MOSFET (Ex.
Supertexinc. LND150N3).  Various oscillators may be designed around this
negative slope EI curve.  The TC primary tank becomes part of a resonant
oscillatory NE system.  Or, oscillation frequency may be controlled by
outside control of NE V or I.  There is never intent for NE deionization as
oscillation takes place on the negative slope of the E vs I curve.

RWW

--- Richard Wayne Wall