RE: Metal Screws and Salt Water Caps

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-hp-dot-com>

There is no reason not to use metal screws unless they're so close to the
primary that they may cause a short between turns.  Very large metal
objects are more problematic.  A large metal-encased NST will contribute to
losses if it is closer than 6"-9" below a large primary coil (I did this
test with a 20" diameter primary, not sure how a mini coil-class primary
would behave).

Bleeder resistors are commonly used on MMC caps because shorting the end
terminals won't guarantee that individual caps are discharged.  Since a SW
cap is not a series array, shorting the terminals WILL discharge the
cap.  However, situations may arise where a charge could be left on a SW
cap (i.e. if the primary tap is loose), and SW caps are not that lossy that
the charge will bleed off by itself.  A series array of resistors would be
a wise addition.

Gary Lau
MA, USA