Re: Sewing machine motor

Original poster: "David Sharpe by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sccr4us-at-erols-dot-com>

John

I think a sewing machine motor may be "way" too fast without a significant
gear reduction / torque multiplying scheme.  I used a windshield wiper motor
out of a early '90 Ford Tempo (flat mounting base).  12VDC PM, _very_
high torque, and easy to speed control using a 555 + PowerFET, and even
(2) speed to boot.  Can pick up at most car wrecking yards for <$20 US.

With 16V input and 1-99% duty cycle control in "High Gear" direct drive,
my motor will turn a 6-8" OD form up to 2 rev / sec, and I have used unit to
wind coils up to 20" OD.  Modified and drilled and tapped output for a
3/8"-16NC threaded rod stock.  My design is on hotstreamer somewhere,
it is easy to build (took less then a week, including electronics) and has been
WELL worth the effort.

Regards
Dave Sharpe, TCBOR
Chesterfield, VA. USA

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "John Richardson by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jprich-at-up-dot-net>