Potential Transformer Questions???

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

Hello,

I just acquired a 14400V, 120V in potential transformer which is rated at
1.5kVA continuous duty.

I plan on using this beast to replace my dual 15kV/120mA NSTs i currently
have on my small coil and
had a question on current limiting.

I have a large ARC WELDER Lincoln (Ed Wingate type) but that is only for my
pole powered stuff. And since I want to
make this somewhat portable, I don't want to carry around too much heavy
equipment.  I was planning on using just
a spool of 12 AWG, 500 foot wire as Terry Blake has done.

My question is, could i safely measure the output current of my limited
transformer now by simply shorting the output
windings together in series with this spool of wire and measure the
secondary current via current probe to determine my output current with the
ballast???  I would like to design the rest of my system around this output
current.

Or would it be better to just measure the inductance of the roll and
calculate the current???

What are your thoughts?

Also, I know a few of you have these things.  How high have you pushed these
things powerwise??

Thanks much!

Dan