Re: Relay Problem - Chattering

Original poster: "Matthew Smith by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>

Hi All

>   The main power relay in my power contoller seems to do
>the same thing.. sometime I'll energize it and it works
>just fine.. other times it's like it can't decide if it
>wants to close or not.. it's rated for 120VAC.. I haven't
>been able to figure it out either.. :-/

FWIW, my experience with relay hunting/chatter has been when re-wiring a
LandRover (which didn't have such things in the original design).

The hunting (more of a whistle than a chatter sometimes) occured when a
heavy load had dragged the battery voltage down.

So - are those relays really getting enough 'juice'?  If the
hunting/chatter occurs often enough, why not put a voltmeter across the
relay solenoid and see if there is any change in the applied voltage (power
fluctuations?) when the hunting occurs.

Cheers

--
Matthew Smith