Re: Relay Problem - Mystery Solved and KEN

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

Basic troubleshooting wouldn't have solved anything in this circumstance.
The voltage was measured at the coil numerous times and was found to
be approximately 120VAC (identical to input power coming into the controller
box) for both an energized and non-energized coil.  There was no significant
voltage drop in any measurements.  It has more to do with the transient
current inrush when initially energizing the coil more than anything else.
It might have
also been a case of too much inductance in the long path 16 AWG wire.
Anyways, 12 AWG wire fixed the problem.

Also, you probably don't know much about basic troubleshooting, do you???
Taking a single voltage measurement is only a small step towards basic
troubleshooting.
Sometimes basic troubleshooting can entail ripping your entire system apart
to replace wire by wire to see where a problem is.  And in these cases, its
the flashy CAD
drawings which ultimately save your a**.  I've worked on many radar
transmitters which have over 1000's of electrical drawings for a single
transmitter.  Thousands
and thousands of wires.  Without those flashy CAD drawings you'd be lost.
Also, by creating flashing CAD drawings prior to your project, you
inherently save hours upon hours
of troubleshooting by catching your mistakes before you even start your
project.

Dan