Re: Old tesla coil - First light

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Liviu Vasiliu by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <teslina-at-yahoo-dot-com>

 > Nice coil. I like everytime the 1900 electric stuff.
 > Do you have a schema of the turbine of the mercury?
 > Would it work for a tesla coil with primary fed with a
 > low voltage (100-1000 volts)?

I didn't look closely at that turbine yet. It can be seen at:
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/oldtesla.html
It was used to interrupt the primary current in the induction
coil, at low voltage. I don't know how much. Probably DC from
batteries.
A mercury turbine may work as interrupter for a Tesla coil
operating with low input voltage, but there would be no
quenching, since the contacts would be metallic. At least,
primary losses would be small. I don't know it it would
like the huge primary currents that would be necessary.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz