NST Current Limiting

Original poster: "Daniel Reinders by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <danreind-at-shaw.ca>

Hi Everybody,

I find myself in a rather rare position on this list.  I'm trying to get
LESS current out of my neon sign transformer.  I had built a Marx
generator, and was running it off of a 12/30 NST (possible since charging
rate >> 60 Hz), or at least I was until the capacitors spewed smoke one by
one.  Guess those 10 kv/0.001 ufd ceramics just aren't up to the job.

We'll I've got a bunch of new capacitors that I'm hoping will do the
trick.  The only catch is that their capacitance is much lower.  So the
Marx generator fires successfully, and then an arc gets established that
does not "quench" - hence no more Marx arcs.  I figure that if I scale back
the current to better match the capacitors it should do the trick.  So I'm
wondering what is the best way to do this without losing
voltage?  Admittedly a non-Tesla question but I hope you'll indulge me.

Thanks,

Dan Reinders