Re: Cutting torroidal cores

Hi Ben,

I have used a cobalt tipped hack saw.  Hard work, but the cobalt does not
dull and stays consistently sharp as you gnaw through.  Wrap the thing with
good tape before you start to hold it together.

A typical metal cutting bandsaw blade just went dull after 1/4 inch.  The
steel in the core is not "soft" (fancy silicon steel).  An oil bath pro
machine may have much better luck.

You may consider just getting a new core with the slot already in
it.  Alpha core has very reasonable priced stuff!!  I would not be
surprised if a brand new split core cost less than having a pro shop cut
the one you have.

http://alphacore-dot-com/

http://alphacore-dot-com/cores.htm

http://alphacore-dot-com/stcores.htm

You have to ask about split cores.  Alpha also have fancy tape and other
general items for this work.

You may also consider WaterJet cutting.  A very cool thing if there is a
WaterJet capable shop near you.  WaterJet will cut through just about
'anything' from a tomato, glass, up to 8 inch military grade
titanium.  Cores may be a problem since the high pressure water may tend to
tear the laminations apart.  I just had some titanium parts WaterJet cut
and was very impressed with how versatile the process is.

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/Ti-Tan%21%21/WaterJet/DoneParts.jpg

My parts were "thin" but they were doing very thick titanium there at the
shop for a local contractor too.  It's stunning what WaterJet can do!!

http://www.dcwaterjet-dot-com/photos.shtml

Might be great for rotors, cutting tungsten, or even cutting primaries out
of sheet copper.  It is a fully computer controlled X-Y-z thing although
the latest machines are five axis...  If anyone ever gets a chance to see a
WatetJet machine, it is a MUST see!!  A 55,000PSI WaterJet, 0.030 mill
thick traveling at 1000 meters/second.  They add garnet powder to the jet
to cut through metals and such.

Of course, check with the people at the shop.  They may already have the
"obvious" solution figured out :-))

Cheers,

         Terry