Re: Some pictures of my coil ( finally working )

Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Hi Christoph,

Glad to hear you rid your coil of the unwanted arcs. The pictures really
help get a better idea of your coil. Just for giggles, I went ahead made
the input corrections where I could find them (toroid height, 35 deg. cone
plus repositioning, strike ring, etc..) and put all  that back into Fantc
again. Fres settles in at 264 kHz which is still much higher than the
measured 180kHz or so. Anyhow, tuning should be at 9.7 turns (say 10).
Also, coupling is 0.108 via Fantc again. I would suggest adjusting coupling
a little higher, but looking at the coils mounting, I don't think it's
possible without reworking something. Not a big deal. Where it is, it will
probably run all day that way. One thing, with the toroid height relatively
high above the top turn of the secondary, you will get corona and possible
arcing off the top of the secondary winding, so keep an eye on that.

If you do adjust coupling at some point, you will probably need to lower
the toroid. The toroid height adjustment on your coil will make little
difference in Fres (maybe 0.3 of one turn). A lot of times when adjusting
coupling, we adjust until we get racing sparks then decrease it until we
can run at full power without the racing sparks down the secondary (note, I
left out several details in that statement). Anyway, the racing sparks tend
to start at the top winding of the secondary. If the toroid is doing a
lousy job at shielding the sec top windings, then racing sparks will occur
sooner than later. It's at least my opinion the toroid height should be
adjusted along-side coupling adjustments when optimum performance is the
goal (vs. for measurement, research, etc..).

Good job with your coil and thanks for putting up some pics. Always love to
see pictures.

Take care,
Bart