RE: high voltage resistors

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

I'm afraid those resistors will not work well.  Unfortunately, you may have
to spend some bucks
to get some good pulse-duty high voltage resistors.

The most economical choice (if you can still find them) are the old
fashioned carbon composition resistors.
If you can get a lot of these and series / parallel what you need, you'll be
alright.

Otherwise, you may have to look at some Caddock HV resistors which will most
definitely break the bank-book.
I do have some 20-30kV resistors in the range you are looking for (caddock),
but I wouldn't let them go for
less than $20.00 each.  I may also have some carbon comps laying around.
I'll look and let you know what I have
available.

Dan
Captain Corona

I'm looking for some inexpensive resistors that will stand off 20kV
pulses.  I have
no objections to using two or three in series.  I need a value of
30-40kohm.  I am
currently using 3 1/2W resistors in series, but question the longterm
standoff
ability.  I have been considering the Ohmite OY series - 2W ceramic
composition
that are about .75" long and .3"diameter, available from Digikey.  But at
about a
buck each, I'd rather not spend $40 to discover they won't work!

Thanks,

Mark Broker
Chief Engineer, The Geek Group