Re: First Light then Failure

Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <classictesla-at-netzero-dot-com>

Hi All,

Before I reply to Alan's question, I want to let everyone know I've changed
my email address to:    classictesla-at-netzero-dot-com
I may have missed some TCML emails in the last 2 days. If there was some
reply intended for me on any of the posts, please forward them to this new
address.

Hi Alan,

Sounds like the caps or NST died. Given the cap type, I'd probably check
the NST on each HV terminal as previously posted. Make sure you check both
HV terminals.

The racing arcs are likely caused by tuning and/or coupling too high. Both
have been reported to cause racing arcs. Since you were in the middle of
probing around for the tune point, it's likely the tuning is the main
cause. Once you find the component that died and get it working again, I
recommend going back to your .015uF SWC and your original tune point.
Adding more power does not dictate that you must reduce the cap size.
Actually, at .015uF (your original) would have been a pretty good value for
the 60mA. If your coil was close to being tuned with the 30mA NST, and you
"reduced" your cap size (for whatever reason), you must "increase" your
inductance by adding more turns. When you tapped in, you decreased your
inductance and moved further out of tune. I'd recommend going back to what
worked at 30mA, add the 2nd NST for 60mA, "don't" remove any caps, and
simply fine tune the coil.

Take care,
Bart