Re: Tesla Coil Patent USP # 577670

Original poster: "Wall Richard Wayne by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com>

Harvey,List,

I started this thread to inform the list of a mechanical switch Tesla
invented.  Not, so much to discuss O/U or free energy which I deem off
topic and not germane to discussion on this list.  I opened the discussion
to discuss Tesla's patented mechanical switch and to determine if it could
be used and improved upon with modern technology for use in our coils.  I'm
sure there are those who will immediately reject it out of hand without
having ever built or tested one.

Norris mentions input/output power measurements to assess TRUE power as
opposed to reactive power.  He is correct whether measuring our TC power or
O/U device power.  HDN advocates, "... making measurements on the basis of
the true power expended as the heat loss I^2R encountered with both input
and output."  I can't agree more.

Here is a small, but important, suggestion about closing an O/U loop or
monitoring real power in our TCs.  Each in our group can use it in any
project and very precisely measure power in, around and out without taking
into consideration waveform complexity or phase variations.

It is the LT1088 (Digikey ~ $20).  It is officially known as a wideband
RMS-DC converter.  It can easily be set up as a very precise power meter.
1% accuracy DC - 50 Mhz and 2% accuracy to 100 Mhz.  300 Mhz BW.  Basically
it converts input waveforms into heat which drives a diode junction in the
IC.  It is a very precise thermo-electric device which is electrically
isolated from the DUT.  Go to Linear Technology web site and down load
specs and applications and you'll see what I mean.

You can easily follow power around your TC or O/U device and get real quick
accurate information about what the circuit is doing.  A good place to
start is to measure the power going into and out of a battery or PS in real
time.  The results are sure to disappoint 99.999% of all O/U'ers when
testing their hoped for O/U device.

Caveats:  If you build this simple little device be sure to build the
crowbar circuit to prevent diode damage.  Also, For higher powers measured,
a shunt or potentiometer should be used.  Also, build it with a battery PS
so it can be "floated" around your circuit.

RWW