Re: Practical limit to number of turns on primary ? ? ?

Original poster: "marc metlicka by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

 > In a message dated 1/29/03 7:24:09 AM Pacific Standard Time,
 > tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
 > >Bart,
 > >   I personally believe the extended length of the discharge is due to the
 > >space charging of the system itself. in the 120" strike to the aluminium
 > >ladder, the ladder itself glowed with a corona extending toward the
 > >discharge just before contact.
 > >   also, as i noted previously, our bodies themselves were charges to the
 > >point that after shut down we could touch a neon tube which would light
 > >for an inch or two?
 >
 > Bart, Marc, all,
 >
 > First of all, congratulations Marc on such a huge spark-length from such
 > a realtively low input power. What I do wonder, however, about such long
 > sparks from such relatively low power inputs is how thick and bright are
these
 > extremely long sparks? Are the said 120" sparks going to be as bright and
 > earth shaterringly loud as the powerful 120" sparks from a more typical
 > 6 to 8 kVA from a reversed pole pig, resonating in the 75 to 100 kHz range?
 > We all know that the total average ouput power levels cannot exceed,
 > and in fact never quite achieve the average input power levels. Tesla
 > coils simply put out much higher peak power levels than the average
 > input power by discharging a relatively small amount of energy in a
 > relatively very short time period, thus making for a very high power output
 > in a very low duty cycle. John Couture explains this well in some of
 > his Tesla coil bulding manuals. I'm not well enough versed in the com-
 > plex mathematics to fully explain this in long equations, but I believe
 > I do fully understand the basic principle ;-))
 >
 > Anyway, I guess I'm just wondering if the current level of 2 kVA, 120"
 > sparks is going to be as high as the current level of 7 kVA, 120"
 > sparks, assuming, of course, full proper tuning of both coils?

David,
I do have video of this event including very close views of the streamer
itself. very interesting, hard plasma in the middle with a cloud of
charged plasma surrounding!
I WILL stick a few on my sight, along with the ladder strike.
will let all know.
Take care,
Marc