Re: Energy storage in primary?

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi Bert,

On 30 Jan 2003, at 0:23, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

 > Hi Jolyon,
 >
 > My response is interspersed below...
 >
 > Tesla list wrote:
 > >Original poster: "Jolyon Vater Cox by way of Terry Fritz
 > ><teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jolyon-at-vatercox.freeserve.co.uk>
 > >So the primary oscillation will not be quenched when the switch turns on
 > >again -short-circuiting the primary capacitor?
 >
 > The goal of quenching is to strand energy in the secondary side at the
 > appropriate time by opening the primary LC current loop. If we short
 > circuited the primary capacitor instead, this has the effect of short
 > circuiting the primary inductor, but it still leaves the primary as an
 > "active" element in the primary-secondary magnetic circuit. The primary
 > would behave as a short circuited transformer winding, robbing energy from
 > the secondary resonator. To achieve a proper quench, the primary current
 > loop must be broken.

Actually, if the primary coil was superconducting, it should achieve
the same goal since the coil would then be incapable of absorbing
energy although one would imagine that it would alter the "isolated"
secondary characteristics in some interesting ways. This could be
something for the TSSP project to have a look at. Perhaps instead of
asking a lot of questions, people should actually try some of their
ideas out and report to the list. The next design breakthrough could
be just around the corner.

Regards,
Malcolm