Re: Practical limit to number of turns on primary ? ? ?

Hi,

If John's transformer is saturating the shunts, giant power may indeed be
being pulled from a seemingly "too small" NST.  Gary Lau's coil does seem
to be doing this too.  Saturated shunt NSTs are probably the next "big
thing" coming our way ;-))

Work and other things have prevented me from continuing my NST experiments
yet, but stay tuned ;-))

I would think in this case, a wattmeter like John has should be "pretty
close"  The harmonics are within the range of the older instrument grade
devices.  There will always be some error, but it should not be
dramatic.  Even a Pearson current probe (1%), Tek HV probe (2%), Tek scope
(2%) can add to 5% error (ignoring digitizing error...).  But big 30% error
should not exist in any case.  So, it's probably a "real thing" :-))))

If anyone can find a "better coil" John is certainly the guy to do it
;-))  I would be more prone to not question "if", but "how and why" ;-))  I
would not go rewriting John's spark length formula too fast...  But power
transfer and efficiency in Tesla coils is a messy and difficult subject in
which sweat things are expected ;-))  These days, a few miracle
breakthroughs a year is normal :-)))

Cheers,

         Terry