Inductance measurement

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

Hi All,
        Does anyone know how the resistance of a coil affects the measured
inductance using an LC meter (e.g. AADE LC IIB meter, Wavetek, etc.). I am
wondering if these meters really measure L, or do they measure delta Z and
infer L from it, with the built-in assumption that R<< XL ?
        If I have two identical solenoids, one wound with copper wire and
the other with, say, Nichrome wire, would they read the same inductance, or
would the larger phase angle fool the meter?

Matt D.