From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Monday, June 30, 2003 10:05 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Desktop Bipolar Coil

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<FutureT-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 6/30/03 1:29:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

John C,

Comments below.....  oh  BTW, it's not a random spark length I'm
considering, it's a maximum spark length.

 >John F. -
 >
 >This is what I mean by nonsense engineering when using random TC spark
 >outputs. This possibility also occurs with other engineering systems. Your
 >spark 36 inch length can be real, however, the exact watt second input to
 >produce this spark cannot be determined and the spark length should not be
 >compared to other spark lengths with an assumed same watt second input.
Keep
 >in mind that the random spark length also has a random watt second input
for
 >that particular spark. With most engineering systems random outputs can
lead
 >to over unity energy.
 >
 >For example -
 >
 >7500 x .03 = 225 watts
 >
 >John Freau equation -
 >
 >   spark inches = 1.7 sqrt(watts)
 >          = 1.7 x sqrt(225)
 >          = 25.5 inch spark

Correct so far.....

 >John Freau 36 inch spark -

Now where did this 36" spark come from?  Did you perchance
take the spark length for a *twin* coil?  Twins give longer sparks
than a regular coil, and I use a different formula for them.  I posted
about this very recently.  In fact I mentioned that a 7.5/30 may give
a 36" spark in a twin coil.  My guess is you must have taken that
figure.  Unfortunately that's mixing apples and oranges.

 >   watts = (inches/1.7)^2
 >      = (36/1.7)^2
 >      = 448 watts

This is correct for a 448 watt input for a regular coil, but for a twin
you only need 225 watts for a 36" spark.  More on that below.

 >   unity eff = 448/225
 >        = 3.96 = 396% over unity energy

I believe you are confusing the results for a twin coil with results for
a regular coil.  That would indeed give a nonsense result if that's what
you did.  I recently answered a post about a twin coil, and you may
have missed that distinction.

 >It is amazing what you can do with numbers using random sparks!
 >
 >This is the penalty that coilers must pay for using random TC spark
lengths.
 >Hopefully, in the future TC spark lengths and watt second inputs will be
 >better defined.

There is no penalty at all.  But one must be accurate in selecting
the proper formula.  I'll explain it again.

Using a 7.5/30 NST for a normal TC:

    spark length inches = 1.7*sqrt input watts

                         25.5" = 1.7*sqrt 225

Using a 7.5/30 NST for a twin TC:

    spark length inches = 2.4*sqrt input watts
                        36" = 2.4*sqrt input watts

The reason twins give longer sparks for a given input power is
because a twin coil can be considered to be two coils each of
one half the total input power.

I hope this helps to clarify the situation.

John F.