Re: Desktop Bipolar Coil

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <FutureT-at-aol-dot-com>

tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>Hi John,
>
> >My equation is good for NST's whether they are
> >modified or not.
> >One should use the measured input wattage for the
> >calc, or at
> >least the PF corrected VA which should be a
> >reasonably accurate
> >approach too
>---
>Even more reliable approach would be to use actual
>real power delivered to primary cap (without losses of
>psu in the way) in certain BPS range.To base empirical
>formulae on actual power P=0.5CV^2 x BPS.
>Smaller NSTs are not as efficient as bigger
>transformers.There are other factors of loading and
>mode of operation that might also affect power losses
>and power deliver to TC circuit.
>
>regards,
>Boris

Boris,

I agree, but my goal for that formula is not great accuracy, but just
a guide.  I like it for convenience for folks who are building a coil, and
don't want to have to measure cap voltages, break-rates, etc.

John