Re: Full bridge with current and voltage switching?

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

On 2 Jul 2003, at 11:17, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Jolyon Vater Cox by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jolyon-at-vatercox.freeserve.co.uk>

 > Is it possible to have a full-bridge output stage where the switching
 > devices in one branch of the bridge are driven signals in phase with the
 > voltage, and in the other branch in phase with the current,
 > to obtain a dead-time effect between  current reversal in the respective
 > transistors?
 >
 > I am thinking of having a current transformer to switch the transistors in
 > the second branch, the transistors in the first branch being switched by
 > the squarewave from an astable.
 >
 > Since current lags voltage n an inductor by up to 90 degrees apart won't
 > the transistors in the second (current-gated) branch start to switch over
 > up to a quarter-cycle after the transistors in the first branch have
 > switched over?
 >
 > And, more relevant to the subject Tesla coils, would it be possible to
 > derive the voltage signal from a winding inductively coupled to the TC
 > primary (effectively in parallel with the primary)
 > and the current signal from a current transformer in series with the
primary?
 > This way would it not be simple to design a self-oscillating driver?

Try it and let us know. I suspect you'll need all the luck you can
get.

Malcolm