From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 7:24 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: RE: 'true" spark length was Re: Desktop Bipolar Coil

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

On 2 Jul 2003, at 11:17, Tesla list wrote:

  > Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

  > Steve -
  >
  > As you mention in your post we should be able to produce a standard spark
  > length parameter. The coiler normally measures the TC energy input as a
  > continuous watt second input. The TC output therefore should be measured
as
  > a continuous load. This can be accomplished by using a controlled spark.
  >
  > If a spark output is used the output should be a continuous number of
sparks
  > of equal length. This can be done by controlling the spark so the
horizontal
  > distance from the secondary terminal to a ground point is such that the
  > spark fires at every break per second (BPS). This type of operation also
  > gives a meaning for using the BPS as a parameter in calculations.

There is a flaw in the methodology right there. You will find that
there is also a breakrate dependency due to hot air channel latency.
I have done such expts and that is exactly what I found. In the case
of one coil, changing the breakrate from less than 1BPS to somewhere
around 2 - 3 BPS nearly doubled the coil's reach to a grounded rod.
That particular case had a rather low L/C ratio in the secondary
system or, to put it another way, a rather low output voltage/energy
storage ratio in the secondary. I dare say the result was also
dependent to a degree on the humidity content of the air at the time
(I recall it as being rather low).

Malcolm

  > The controlled spark test has been discussed many times in the past on
the
  > List. The test has some problems and has not been accepted by the
majority
  > of coilers. The random maximum spark is used instead which makes no sense
as
  > I have pointed out in other posts.
  >
  > John Couture

<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"