Early versions of Tesla's coil

Original poster: "RMC by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <RMC-at-richardcraven.plus-dot-com>

Referring to this image:

http://www.pbs-dot-org/tesla/ins/images/tc_main01.jpg

We see an image of an early coil of the type designed and built by Tesla in
the earlier part of his career leading up to the end of the 19th century.

1) Has anyone seen any better pictures?

2) Can anyone accurately describe what various components we are looking at
in the picture?

3) Do we know anything about the power supply input required to drive this
type of machine?

I know this variety of machine was demonstrated at the IEE in London as well
as at various USA events and was an oil-immersed secondary, not
ground-referenced.  I have seen some of the photgraphs in the lecture he
presebted ("experiments in alternating currents of high potential and high
frequency" is the approximate title) and also seen the impressive brush
discharge shots. I know nothing about the primary gap or cap or turns or
secondary or M or resonant frequencies.

Cheers

RMC, England