SRSG, full power or not?

Original poster: "J Dow by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jdowphotography-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Hello folks

I have a SRSG question.
I use a 1800 rpm motor with 4 electrodes. I can spin the motor to adjust
the timing. The funny thing is that it only works right in a range of 20
degrees. As I move the motor out side this range the sparks from the TC get
bigger and stronger but at full power the safety gaps fire, sapping power.
The simple answer is don't go out of my 20 degree range. But I can see that
there are bigger stronger sparks to be hade if I could just keep it from
failing at full power. I'm using a LTR .0692mf geek MMC on a 12/120 NST
(300mf PFC) power supply.  As it is I think I'm only allowing the cap to
charge for a portion of the charging cycle.
So what's going on hear? If I rotate the motor more, am I'm charging the
cap for a longer period in the half cycle causing huge voltage rise? If so,
how to prevent the safety gap, set at just over 12kv, from firing. I could
widen the safety gap, but then what's the point of having it?   Richard
Burnett discuses safety gaps across the SRSG on his web site. But safety's
are only supposed to fire if the SRSG fails to. Has anyone had a similar
problem?

Thank you all
Read you later
Josh