Re: More MMC qustions

Hi Mike,

dV/dT is the voltage change in volts per microsecond that caps can take.

In our case, suppose we have 2000V across each cap and our coil runs at
250kHz.  During a single cycle, the voltage goes to +2000 to -2000 volts in
1/2 cycle which is 2uS in this case (1/250000 x 1/2).  So we have 4000V in
2uS or 2000 V/uS.

This value determines the peak current the caps will see.  Thus, it is an
indictor if the caps are going to get torn apart by current spikes (like
full metalized caps do).  If we have a 50nF cap in this case, the peak
current can be found.

Zc = 1 / (2 x pi x F x C) = 1 / (2 x pi x 250000 x 50e-9) = 12.732 Ohms
reactive.

Simply using I = V / R

Ipeak = Vpeak / R  == 2000 / 12.7 = 157 peak amps.  So the caps have to
handle 157 amp peaks without failure.  Metal foil caps have no problem with
this.  However, full metalized caps that have super thin conductors will
"snap".  For some reason, everyone uses dV/dT but dI/dT and other things
are used too.  A nice table for Geek caps is at:

http://www.cornell-dubilier-dot-com/film/9422000.htm

BTW - If one uses the geek cap numbers and figures out the current if you
directly short them at 2000V, you will see why directly shorting high
current caps is a bad idea.  The only thing limiting the current is the
series resistance and the inductance.  In this case we have 5mOhm and 32nH.

150nF and 32nH gives a resonant frequency of 2.3MHz.  32nH at 2.3MHz has a
reactance of 462mOhms (the 5mOhm resistance can be forgotten).  So the
current is:

2000 / 0.462 = 4330 amps peak!!  the caps are rated for 432 amps peak so a
direct short is almost "exactly" (you can here the engineers thinking ;-))
10X the rating.

BTW - It really is an exact science ;-)))  It can get a little messy, but
there is real science behind it all.

Cheers,

         Terry