Re: MMC cap bank

Hi Jimmy,

At 01:12 PM 7/4/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi Terry,
>
>I understand the I^2R thing, but isn't the RMS current
>only square root of 10 times as much? After you square
>and average it, it would be 10 times, but you still
>have to take the square root, right?

Nope.  RMS is just the "equivalent" AC current to a fixed DC current.  If I
run 10X the BPS rate, I draw 10X the current and get 100X the heat loss
across a resistor.

>If it really is 500 watts lost with 1000 BPS, then the
>amount of energy lost per pulse is 0.5 joules. If you
>lose 5 watts at 100 BPS, then the energy lost per
>pulse is 0.05 joules. What would cause the increase in
>loss per break?

It's not linear.  "I^2"  The graph is a steep ski slope.

>We are talking about the same energy
>per pulse right?

Yes.  Power = current squared times resistance.   Double the current, four
times the power.  Triple the current, nine times the power...