Re: Geek Caps - Ratings and longevity

Original poster: "Crow Leader by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla-at-lists.symmetric-dot-net>

Tesla list writes:
>Original poster: "Chris Roberts by way of Terry Fritz
><teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <quezacotl_14000000000000-at-yahoo-dot-com>
>That might have done it, but no, I'm not running at resonant value. I'm
>simply using the LTR value on the geek group design chart. Terry took a
>look at a picture of the caps I sent, and said that they didn't look like
>they were damaged.
>Here's a picture at:
><http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/P7030004.JPG>http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/P7
>030004.JPG
>As you can see, I was worried about the little depressions that circle the
>middle of each cap. But since Terry thinks they are okay, I'm not one to
>argue. =D I gave the entire coil a meticulous inspection, along with
>cleaning off the spark gap electrodes. I removed a huge amout of carbon
>(or whatever that black stuff is) off of them. Mabye that was the problem.
>I'll test it again tonight. I hope it works due to it being the fourth. (I
>hope I don't have to resort to using "normal" fire works) =D

Hybrid (film, foil and metalization) caps are two sections in series. What
you're seeing in the middle is probably the area where the foil leaded
sections are connectected by the metallization in the middle, giving the
cap some sort of self healing ability. I cannot say what's making that area
collapse on itself.
KEN