Ping tester

Original poster: "robert & june heidlebaugh by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rheidlebaugh-at-desertgate-dot-com>

as capacitors and coils are similar I beleave this may work. I havent tried
it on coils, but it works well on capacitors of very low value less than 1
pf with 1% acuracy. we  use a dual trace scope, saw tooth gen,var resistor
(20K). Connect the resistor and capacitor in an intigrating RC curcuit. put
channel 1 on the saw tooth gen. Put channel 2 on the capacitor and adjust
the frequency and resistor to show a delay loop with relativly parallel
sides. It looks like a hystoresis loop. Then measure ths delay time space
between the lines of the loop // on the scope and the value of the resistor
and the generator frequency. The delay is RC a linier calculation. The
frequency is used only to give you the basic time unit for your starting
point. Unless a coil produces ringing it should work for a coil in a similar
set up, The coil may have to be connected shunt and the resistor in series.
   Robert  H