Re: Inductance meter?

Original poster: "Stephen Conner by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <steve-at-scopeboy-dot-com>

I used to work with switched mode power supplies. One way of measuring an
inductor was to put a square wave voltage across it, and look at the ramp
rate of the current through it, which would be a triangle wave. Then by
Faraday's Law (or is it Lenz's Law- I can never remember) L=V/(di/dt)

You could extend this concept to mutual inductance by putting a square wave
voltage across one winding and looking at the current in the other winding
(which you would short via a current shunt). What you would be measuring
here is the leakage inductance between the two windings. I believe you can
calculate the mutual inductance between two windings if you know the
inductances of both, and the leakage inductance between them. I don't know
the equation for this, maybe Antonio or someone could help us out?

Of course, you could use a sine wave drive and measure the RMS current with
a multimeter like "normal" people do :) but the square wave drive can help
you visualise/measure the saturation behaviour which is very important in
SMPS work. Plus it's easier to generate high-current high-frequency square
waves than sine waves, and multimeters often don't read HF AC too accurately.

Steve C.