Re: Early versions of Tesla's coil

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>
 >
 > Hi Ed,
 >
 > At 10:32 AM 7/6/2003 -0700, you wrote:
 > >As far as I know all of the "Tesla coil" leak
 > >detector spark coils operate in this way and are probably being built
 > >still.  I have one built by Rogers Electric in 1916 which works this way
 > >and puts out about a 1" spark.
 > >Ed
 >
 > You bet they are still made ;-))
 >
 > http://www.electrotechnicproduct-dot-com/
 >
 > http://www.electrotechnicproduct-dot-com/pinhole.html
 >
 > Mine was made in 2001 ;-))  Great, easy, fast, little Tesla coil
 > toy.  Pretty pricey for new ones.
 >
 > Recently there was a place in India that was still making the quack
 > electrotherapy electrodes too!  Oh yeah!!  Still are!!
 >
 > http://members.bellatlantic-dot-net/~vze3cw3z/electr.html
 >
 > I don't know when the original patent for those things was, but it has to
 > be one of the oldest electrical products that is still the same today as it
 > always was.  You won't find a whole lot of UL, CSA, TUV, GSA, MIC, KEY,
 > MOU, SE labels on it either :o)))  One of the best products ever made!!
 >
 > You can always pull one of those out at any geek meeting and about 1/2 the
 > people will instantly get a big smile on their face :o)))  They know what
 > it is and they know it is going to be a load of fun!!
 >
 > Cheers,
 >
 >          Terry

	I'd add one note of caution for anyone using such a "Tesla coil" for
leak detection in a vacuum system.  If you're not careful it will end up
being a "leak maker" with the spark puncturing a weak spot in the glass!

Ed