Re:Re: power factor correction?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

In a message dated 7/6/03 10:24:51 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
>Hello all
>
>Thanks for the word of warning. But perhaps I misspoke. The cap I used in
>the early days did fry on me but the one I use now has been fine for 2
>years. I've got an amp meter on my control box that reads the amps to the
>coil. With out the cap it reads 22-25 amps with the PFC cap its down to
>around 15 amps and doesn't pop the breaker. So, as I'm sure you all are
>right about motor start caps, it must be a motor run cap. The cap was
>salvaged from the dump. It works great and the coil "rips it up" so all
>must be well. But now I know what not to look for the next time I need a
>PFC cap so thank you all.
>
>Read you later
>Josh

Josh,

Generally, a good way to tell the difference between motor start and motor
run capacitors is that the motor RUN capacitors are usually the cylindercal
or oval-shaped metal oil-filled can and the motor START capacitors are
usually of a black cylindercal phenolic-like outer shell and are not
oil-filled.
Also, the motor run capacitors have a relatively small but precise capaci-
tance like 5, 7.5, 10, 20 uFD, ect. I've personally never seen a (single)
motor run capacitor unit with a capacitance of larger than 60 uFD (although
that dosen't mean that they don't exist :^)))
OTH,motor start capacitor units usually have a relatively large capacitance
that has a non-precise capacitance rating on it i.e.,   125-188 uFD or
245-312 uFD, ect.

Hope this helps with future identification,
David Rieben