Re: Car Ignition Failures

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>
 >
 > Hi,
 >
 > Cars use much of the same protection that military aircraft do.  I would
 > "hope" the planes would be tested "properly", where in the case of this car
 > model, somebody apparently screwed-up...  I would like to think that a
 > $35,000,000  F-18 Super Hornet with ECM, Stealth, EMP hardening, Rad
 > hardening, ect...  Would not be taken out buy a Tesla coil.  But I wonder
 > if it has "really" been "tested"...
 >
 > We know McDonnell Douglas in St. Louis used Tesla coils for testing
 > aircraft since someone was killed by one there :-((((
 >
 > http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Misc/Deaths.txt
 >
 > I wonder if the "Tesla coil EMI testing" business is about to take off
 > again!!  All one would need is a coil and a driveway big enough to park an
 > F-18 ;-))
 >
 > In general, Tesla coils are very "quiet" RF wise.  I would think the car
 > had some glaring weakness to some specific radio frequency.  They really do
 > stick them in big chambers and throw the full spectrum of RF at cars now
 > days...  Cell phones were the only recent worry...
 >
 > But all it takes is one bad ECO....
 >
 > Cheers,
 >
 >          Terry

	Remember that, inside the hood, you have 4, 6, or 8 sparks firing on
each cycle and that they are much closer to the electronic "works" than
the TC would be.  That environment is worse than most MIL-STD-461
require for A/C operation.  I suspect a remarkable coincidence.

Ed