re: failed car ignition

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <IanHelixsp-at-aol-dot-com>

Hi all

My previous occupation was as a technician, working for Audi/VW (18yrs).
During the last few years we had more and more complaints about vehicles
refusing
to start when parked in certain locations! After some time and processes of
elimination I realised that this was due to r.f. interference from radio
transmitters i.e. near the local police h.q. etc. (Also in the same areas,
cases of
continuous false alarms from vehicle security systems) I have never had an
instance of a vehicle breaking down due to this, just failing to start. I
attributed this to the vehicle immobiliser system, which usually takes the
form of a
radio transponder within the ignition key. The E.C.U. is programmed in a 'fail
safe' mode to prevent the vehicle from breaking down once started and running.
In other words the immobiliser's digital out-put is ignored once the engine
is running.

Cheers,
Ian D. Liverpool U.K.