RE: DRSSTC goes BOOM!!! :o(

Original poster: "Steve Conner by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <steve.conner-at-optosci-dot-com>

-----Original Message-----
From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: 09 July 2003 00:56
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: DRSSTC goes BOOM!!! :o(

 >the sparks didn't seem
 >to grow much from 60 to 120 volts.

Didn't that set some alarm bells ringing? If it was working properly, they
should have doubled in length. What _I_ think may have happened is that you
ran out of transconductance at 60 volts, so the primary current stopped
growing, and all the extra power after that went to heating the IGBTs,
hence, boom!

 >I turned it up to 30
 >volts to make sure everything was working, and then cranked it up the rest
 >of the way. BOOM!!!

:( Did the case of the IGBT actually burst open by itself or did you break
it open for examination? And where's the silicon? I can't actually see any
in there! Maybe it all vaporised :-0 Worse luck but don't give up now, it
sounds like you're nearly there

Steve C.