Re: Sparks from an IGBT brick!

Original poster: "jimmy hynes by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <chunkyboy86-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Cool! :o)

Before making a new secondary, I think you should put as much power into
that secondary as you think it can take! If you increase the break rate to
1200 like you did on the little driver, and up the primary energy a little,
I think it could be really impressive ;-)).

Original poster: "Stephen Conner by way of Terry Fritz "

Dear List,

I managed to get an IGBT brick-powered OLTC to work. So far it has only
produced tiny 4.5" sparks at 10bps but I believe it has shown there is no
major problem with using bricks.

It used an 8" single turn primary, four 1uF geek group caps, and the
secondary/toroid borrowed off my mini OLTC. Current in the brick was about
1600 Amps at 130kHz. I never even bothered tuning it ;)

Read more about the test at http://www.scopeboy-dot-com/tesla/t4sparks.html
(pictures may take a while to load)

I would like to say a big thanks to Terry Fritz for contributing ideas to
this project, not to mention bricks and caps :)

Steve C.

Jimmy