RE: Sparks from an IGBT brick!

Original poster: "Steve Conner by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <steve.conner-at-optosci-dot-com>

 >Excellent!!  I see you are not using a heatsink on the bricks.  I trust
 >they stay very cool?  Looks like the bricks have no problem a all here.

The brick didn't heat up at all. The plate on the bottom felt stone cold.
But at an input power of about 5 Watts I'd have been surprised if it did!
All this test really proved was that the brick could manage high di/dt and
not malfunction or pop any of its gates from inductive kicks in its internal
wiring. The di/dt was almost as high as what it will be in the finished
machine, about 800A/us.

I won't be increasing power levels until everything is well connected in
place, shielded, and reasonably well tuned (see my other post) and I might
as well build a new secondary while I'm at it. Off to the market this
weekend to find a suitable plastic trash bin :)