Re: Cap life testing - Re: MMC cap bank - ion inception testing

Original poster: "Mark Broker by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>

Terry,

Seeing as this is not a short duration test, I wonder if we indeed need to
monitor the current and log all the data for 6 months.  I really would hate
to see you "waste" your almost-new data logger on a 6 month test of MMC ion
inception.  I do think that checking the fuses once a day is ample so long
as we are very certain that the fuse will blow if the dielectric breaks
down.  not sure how to test that aside from cranking up the voltage until
one pops....

We (TGG) can do the test, but a location will be difficult for a
while.  The only "out of the way" location at Geek House is in the attic,
and temps easily reach 120+F during the day (probably 150F) in the
summer.  I would think the atmospheric condition alone would virtually
invalidate the test.  During the winter, the attic is "semi-heated" and
maintains about 65F due to a nice draft up the ladder....  My wife and I
are planning to move to a newer, larger place (with a garage and a "work
shop"!) when our lease runs out at the end of August.  I wouldn't want to
disrupt the test to move it, even if it's a half-hour trip across town, and
there really is no convenient, out of the way location in my 2-br 2nd floor
apt.

I guess what I'm saying is that we can easily test the caps ourselves
without a datalogger (we could whip up a DAC/PC deal if we needed to), but
have to wait until mid-late September before beginning the test.  And
seeing as it's a 6-month test (or more), I guess I don't see a problem with
that.

Cheers,

Mark Broker
Chief Engineer, The Geek Group