RE: differential probes

Original poster: "FRITZ, TERRY by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <TERRYF-at-aei-dot-com>

Hi Jimmy,

I quickly looked it over and had these thoughts:

Out 1 and 2 are connected to the ground legs of the BNC connectors.  They
should go the the center pins of the scope connectors.

Holes for LED31 and B31 and B32 wires may need to be larger?  Hard for me to
judge from the pictures...

C12 and C21 should all have their "own" vias going to the ground plane (high
current at 150MHz!).

There should be three "very" separate grounds.

	The low voltage electronics will have it's own ground plane but that
will end on the low voltage side of the 1Meg resistors.  There should be
"no" ground plans under the HV resistor areas.  The HV resistors from a very
wide line of isolation separating the low voltage stuff from the high
voltage stuff.  Only the resistors should cross that line.  The grounds are
also "very" separate since under a fault they will be far from zero volts!

	The MOV sets each have their own "very high" current (like 2000 amp
pulse) grounds that go out to ground studs.  The MOV grounds are meant to
take giant faults and ground them separately away from the other grounds.

The Official "CE" clearances for 2000Vp on a PCB are 1 inch!
"Theoretically", the high voltage side stuff should all be spaced 1 inch
apart from anything else.  2000V will easily arc 1/4 inch between sharp
points over a surface.  So you may need far more spacing on the high voltage
stuff.

Not sure BNC connectors are good for the high voltage.  They make HV BNC
connectors but they are super expensive.  I was going to go to
the HV fuses (yet to be figured out) and then to banana jacks.  In one way,
I like the BNC and coax cables since they "could fail" and stop a high
voltage event from getting through to the scope.  Sort of a "crowbar" ;-))
However, we should probably try to stop over voltage events more
diplomatically :o))  I did find some 15kV 5 amps fuses but they are 18
inches long!

http://www.ferrazshawmut-dot-com/products/pdf_107/15.5%20kV%20CS-3.pdf

Might have to start thinking about Ken's idea of hard clamping and hoping
something else blows up first...

Cheers,

	Terry