Re: High Voltage but Low Current fuses...

Original poster: "David Speck by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-davidspeckmd-dot-org>

Chris,
Actually, most standard fuses do fail with time, even when operated within
their specified ratings.  There are microscopic cracks and inhomogenieties
in the fuse bar which get locally hotter than the rest of the material,
thus further propagating the defect.  Eventually, the defect lowers the
functional rating of the fuse, and the fuse blows, frequently with the
turn-on current rush, or just during normal operation.  That's one reason
that critical equipment usually has a spare fuse in a holder right next to
the working one.
Dave