RE: differential probes

Hi Jimmy,

At 11:36 AM 7/16/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I used expresspcb for the layout. There are some pictures of it here:
><http://www.hotstreamer-dot-com/chunkyboy86/diffprb.jpg>www.hotstreamer-dot-com/chunkyboy86/diffprb.jpg
>www.hotstreamer-dot-com/chunkyboy86/diffprb2.jpg
>
>You can also download the software, and change the layout yourself.
><http://www.hotstreamer-dot-com/chunkyboy86/diffprb.pcb>www.hotstreamer-dot-com/chunkyboy86/diffprb.pcb
>

>I haven't fixed any of the problems Terry pointed out yet. I am waiting
>for the new design.

I think you should go ahead and make the changes and get the boards.  I
have thought about the spark gaps and all, but I think the MOV design is
the way to go.  The fuses could be 1/4 x 1-1/4 low current pig tail
fuses.  That would be as good as anything.

We simply are not going to be able to protect against "everything" but we
can do a lot and this design:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/DiffProbe-5p.gif

does just about all that can reasonably be done.  So I think it is time to
go for it!  Things may change, but we need the boards to do actual
testing.  We are not going to be able to "think through" the remaining
unknowns.  We actually have to try it.

I don't know how much having the boards made costs?  This would probably be
a "prototype" and a final design turn would be needed.  I don't know if you
wanted to spend money on an totally unproven design?  I can certainly help
with the cost of these unknown boards if you want.

Cheers,

         Terry