Re: A good PSU for driving a resonator

Original poster: "RMC by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <RMC-at-richardcraven.plus-dot-com>

 > Why would someone spend $4k to drive a coil -at- 450 kHz?  Even a coil wound
 > with 18g wire would not be very large.

1) Whether anybody would want to spend that much money is a fair point.
However:

2) You would end up with a robust power supply such that, if you wanted to
experiment with different secondary topologies, it would form a convenient
general-purpose driver and

3) Reading about, or working on RF induction heater design, or working with
such devices, shows that they are fairly easy to retune.

4) Why assume 18g when you could start experimenting with 16/0.2 or 26/0.1
or even larger stranded wire?

5) It is an idea that is probably more associated, on this List at least,
with experimenters rather than constructors.  I think that spending four
thousand US dollars would be beyond most of us, but is *is* food for
thought.

Cheers

RMC, England