Re: Question on bleed off resistor

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi Tim,
         I guess you didn't bother to do some basic calcs using your
resistor values then:

On 21 Jul 2003, at 16:31, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Timothy Myers by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tjmyers-at-nortelnetworks-dot-com>

 > I have a single .02MFD (80KVDC) capacitor I will be connecting to a 7500/60
 > NST as part of a tesla coil tank circuit.  The output of the transformer is
 > 540 Watts.
 >
 > My question is, what size resistor can I safely get away with to bleed off
 > the charge in the capacitor?  I have 3 or 4 500 Ohm 100 Watt resistors
 > lying around I would like to make use of.

The first point to be made is that the higher the power dissipated in
the bleeders, the less there is for your coil. The second is that
with four in series = 2k, 60mA x 2k = 120V (which is the RMS voltage
your transformer could deliver with the resistors planted across it).

      A bleed resistance of several megohms capable of withstanding at
least 11kV would be a better idea.

Malcolm