Re: Question on bleed off resistor

Hi Michael,

In the past, people who made rolled poly caps often used a "3X" voltage
rating for poly thickness.  The reason was that homemade caps were
"homemade" and they tended to need extra "help" anyway.

If something goes wrong in a resonant cap/transformer system, the voltage
could go far higher too.  LTR designs have largely eliminated that problem
as have good filters now days.

Since commercial caps will be destroyed "instantly" if they go over voltage
and arc through, many people prefer to have plenty of margin there.  Also,
high voltage caps can take more abuse and may last longer in general in the
tough Tesla coil environment.

All that said, more modern LTR designs, MMC caps, effective filters, etc.
have all but eliminated the need to over-design for voltage.  We still have
to remember that the peak voltage is 1.414 times the RMS voltage (so a
7500Vrms transformer will have a peak voltage of 10600 volts) and keep in
mind those variacs that go to 117% of the line voltage.  But the days of
blindly rating caps to 3X the voltage "just because", are long gone.  In
this case, the resistors can take 3000 volts if they had to.  MMC caps can
also take substantial over voltage but are not destroyed if there is some
arcing through.  But the systems of today should have primary voltages
right where we expect them to be and we are pretty good at keeping them there.

Cheers,

         Terry