Soft transformer turn on without a variac

Original poster: "Peter Terren by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <pterren-at-iinet-dot-net.au>

Hi all.
For my 5 kW museum
coil,
<http://members.iinet-dot-net.au/~pterren/Scitech.htm>http://members.iinet-dot-net.au/~pterren/Scitech.htm
,   I need to have a single switch for turn on preferably without a variac
to keep things simple for the staff.  The present system has solid state
relays but is complicated and unreliable. I need to turn on the motor first
then a couple of seconds later soft turn on the power to the transformer.
Even switching  on power to a normal variac gives a spike that will trip my
lower current breakers. The whole system will have to be electrically
quiet.  Does anyone have experience with inrush limiters or have other
suggestions?

Cheers
Peter (Tesla Downunder)