Re: DC Tesla Coil output

Original poster: "Chris Roberts by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <quezacotl_14000000000000-at-yahoo-dot-com>

That is true that the tank capacitor is charged to only one voltage at a
time, but if you are charging it to +10,000 volts, then +10,000 volts, etc,
does the output on one end stay as +100,000 volts, then +100,000 volts,
etc? I guess what I meant by my first question was whether or not the
polarity of the secondary output of a DC coil still changes. (thus making
it AC) From my limited knowledge of inductance, I'm guessing that the
output is still AC seeing as the magnetic field from the primary coil still
forms and collapses (when the primary goes from 0 to +whatever, then back
to 0 ) which causes a charge to flow back and forth in the secondary, right?

<tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:
Original poster: "Terry Fritz"

Hi Chris,

It is all the same. When a gap fires the cap is charged to a given
voltage, say +10000V. For that moment in time, the cap voltage looks just
like DC to the coil. If the cap is -10000V the next firing or +10000
again, it really does not matter. You second question is messy ;-)) but see:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/modact/modact.html

Cheers,

Terry

At 11:56 AM 7/26/2003 -0700, you wrote:
 >Hi everybody,
 >It's been a while since I've asked a newbie question, so I guess it's time
 >again. =D Anyway, if you input pulsed DC into a tesla coil, (like a
 >voltage doubled MOT coil) is the final output (spark) still pulsed DC or
 >does it switch back to AC? Can anybody also expalin why it outputs
 >whatever it outputs? Tha! nks again!
 >

 >-Chris

-Chris