Re: making a motor synch?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

In a message dated 6/1/03 12:25:41 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><FutureT-at-aol-dot-com>
>
>In a message dated 6/1/03 12:18:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

< To the fellow who heard the hunting sound (wa-wa-wa), did you
< try feeding the motor with 140V from a variac? Sometime this
< gives enough voltage to lock the motor into sync.

Hi John,

Yes, I did try running the varaic all the way up to 140 volts
but I still heard the wa-wa "hunting" sound. It seemed to
start this hunting sound with the variac at around 85 to 90
volts but it nver would stop once it began, no matter how
high i turned the variac voltage (up to the 140 volt limit).
I may try removing the rotory disc and replacing with the
cardboard disc to see if it can lock at all.

< I'm not sure how much metal should be removed for a 3450 rpm
< motor to make it sync best.

Yea, I'm not sure either since this is my first real try at
modifying an induction motor. One other thing that I may
need to mention is that this motor was the motor of a Black
& Decker bench grinder and appears to be of the split phase
type, since it has no external starting capacitor, only one
small running capacitor under the cradle. I think Bill Wysock
stated that this was not the proper type of motor to modify
for salient synchronous operation. I'd really rather get a hold
of a 1725 RPM motor for this purpose anyway :^)

David Rieben