Re: Need a variable-speed 2hp or greater AC motor for serious gap drive

Original poster: "W.R. Langston by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <blangsto-at-iwvisp-dot-com>

Dan,

Funny you should ask. My son, the currently practicing physicist
(government paid research physicist -- a shade too accustomed to the
concept of over-engineering IMHO ;-), has machined as close to a
bulletproof rotary gap as my eyes have ever set on. Somehow he has managed
to get almost all the people in his section excited about this project and
directly in on the design and machining work -- if you've ever worked in a
government lab, that should explain everything about what is going on here.
It looks like it will require 1 1/2 hp to cause this thing to quiver, let
alone spin. However, once in motion, it should be able to reverse feed
Hover for a few seconds as it slows down.

If there has ever been something that looked virtually indestructible, this
is it. Once it is all together, I'll post a photo. One picture is worth a
thousand poetic phrases. The base and standups are all 1" alloy, the shaft
is 1" SS round stock. It is electrically isolated (read that "insulating
belt driven"), and the disc is 1" x12" G11. Last time I looked at the
design, the electrodes were to present a hemispherical, 1/2" face to each
other -- set at an appropriately calculated angle to allow for the burn-off
of early arc and/or late quenching to wear uniformly (I'm betting that part
of the plan will just never work, what with windage and random heat
transfer and magnetic field effects on the arc and all).

At any rate, I cannot change his mind to down size the thing, so it fell to
me to come up with a variable speed control for the 1 phase, 240v, 2 hp
motor we have now, or a motor and control to suit whatever can get the job
done.

So, thanks for your input, I'll pass it on to the "team." You see, I am
over 50 (one foot in the ground already and the other on uncertain
footing), no longer in an "official" lab... so what do I know -- about
anything -- in the face of the educated, under thirty crowd????

Oh well, he is my retirement plan, so I guess I'll humor him ;-)

Have a great day,
Bill L.