Re: Plane wave antenna making

Hi,

There are a lot of ways.  I usually just charge the coil to a known high
voltage and short it to give a known voltage step.  The voltage is very
proportional to distance.

Relative distance   Relative voltage
1                       1
2                       1/2
4                       1/4
8                       1/8
16                      1/16

So you can use a smaller voltage close and then back off a known distance
for a known attenuation.  A lot depends on how accurate one cares to
be.  At a far calibration distance (~5 feet) and a high calibration voltage
(50.0kV) it can be extremely accurate.  I prefer using a high voltage
supply and such as opposed to "figuring it out" on paper (computer) since I
have the stuff.  It is easier to calibrate it with known high voltages and
I don't have to worry with ceiling, floor, and other room effects messing
with the fields.  E-Tesla-6 is pretty good at doing that, but the room has
to be pretty big without much nearby stuff.

In many cases, I don't care what the voltage is, I just need to know what
the waveform looks like so I don't worry about calibration.

Cheers,

         Terry